In recent talk about Education, I hear/read the phrase “fixed mind set or growth mind set” (Dr. Carol Dweck).
With the idea that I would like to have a changing mind set, I’ve been reflecting on my experiences with blogging. It hasn’t been going as well as I would have liked…
1. I got into this because I had been told (and wanted to believe) that it was all about my own personal learning.
2. I wanted to blog about “something” that I thought would be beneficial to others in addition to being “something” I was passionate about.
3. I knew I wanted it to be about education.
4. I decided upon my favorite part of education: “transfer”. I talk with my students about why we come to school, and my bottom line is always about “transfer”.
5. I wanted to post at least once a month, if not at least once every two weeks.
6. I started blogging.
7. It was hard to think of “good” posting material.
8. Even though I wanted it to be about me, I wanted more followers.
9. I kept thinking about meaningful postings (had several, kinda ideas formed, but never took them to press).
10. I kept thinking and reflecting and decided that I had boxed myself in with the topic of “transfer”.
11. I remembered the video from Jay McTighe about “persistence” (click to see video).
11. Today, 11 May 11, I will “rebrand” my blog to be Any thing about Education that I feel like thinking and reflecting on (trying to get this back to being about me).
12. I’m already excited about my next posting…!
Check out these two videos from Dr. Carol Dweck to find out more about “fixed vs. growth” mindsets.